Things Have A Habit Of Coming Sooner Than Expected

During the weekend Edna and Caren kindly came round to help sort our bedroom out as it was going to be decorated shortly. A nice haven to go to relax and unwind. I was helping shift boxes and pass stuff up to Daniel in the loft, probably not what I should have been doing at 36 weeks pregnant but there you go. I was having a few cramps in my stomach but nothing serious, just what you would regard as a minor period pain so I didn’t think anything of it. Plus it didn’t last for long and didn’t come back for the rest of the evening. The following morning however I was to get the biggest shock of my life. Daniel had just got ready for work and was about to head out of the door. I felt the need to go to the toilet, as I stood up a sudden gush of water just came out of me like I had wet myself. I wasn’t that desperate for the toilet. I called Daniel just as he was about to close the door behind him to say that I thought my waters had just broken. He told me to phone the hospital and see what they said and to let him know as he headed off to work. Trying to get through to them was a nightmare because the signal on the phone was diabolical. God forbid I’d need to call someone in an emergency, what am I talking about? That was an emergency! I eventually got through to them, still gushing water all over the floor. After getting cut off a couple of times due to lack of signal they told me I needed to come in for a check-up. I called Daniel and he came home to take me to the hospital. The midwives checked me over and said that my waters had broken and the obstetrician said the baby was on its way. He put two tablets up there to try to induce at different intervals but nothing progressed so I was then put on a drip for 12 hours to help the little one on its way. Still nothing was happening, I was given an epidural and taking in gas and air (that’s good shit!), I had a fit of the giggles on my first intake of breath with that and couldn’t stop laughing. I had another epidural later on in the morning and around 3am I was taken into surgery to have a caesarean section. The anaesthetist was either Aussie or a Kiwi, he was a good laugh and made me feel very at ease. I didn’t feel a thing, it was very strange to have surgeons poking around your insides and moving your organs about to get this baby out of you. You know what was going on, but yet you felt no pain, only pushing. When I heard the baby cry that was when I knew everything was okay. I was so pleased because in the last few weeks leading up to it I had been feeling apprehensive and having nightmares that something was going to go wrong with the birth. It was a boy, born 18th July 2012 at 3.50am, named Mackenzie Kyle. My son. My pride and joy. My boy. I held him in my arms for the first time and felt complete. This magical being I had been carrying around for eight months was now here. For the last seven months since he has been with us, I have looked at him every day and a tear forms in my eye as I realise how lucky I am to have a son as special as he is. He is the best boy in the whole world and will grow up to do amazing things. Go on and save the world, Mackenzie Kyle.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: